The boys in the House come from a diverse mixture of backgrounds and cultures which gives the House a truly global feel. They support each other greatly whether it be on the sports field or in other events like the House Song competition or the House Play. Wiseman’s boys regularly go on to top universities both in the UK and abroad.
The House motto comes from the Roman poet Horace. In this the poet predicts his world fame and immortality. The message for the Wiseman’s boys is “aim high”. Accordingly, the House symbol is of a flying arrow. On the House hall is a Greek inscription from Homer’s Iliad which translates “Glaucus, why is it that we two are held in the highest honour?” The original passage continues with the message that the position of high rank and respect lays on these men the obligation to fight for their weaker men in the forefront of battle. It is urging the boys to use their education and privilege in their lives to the benefit of others.
Wiseman’s was Clifton’s third boarding house opening in 1878 under the leadership of Rev. H. J. Wiseman. The House narrowly escaped bombing in 1940 when a bomb fell and destroyed the squash courts next to the House and its air-raid shelter. In 1966, the Redgrave Theatre was built on an area known as “Clissold’s Piece” after H. Clissold who was a WiH Housemaster killed in the Great War. In exchange for this, the existing WiH building was extended to include a house library, named in Clissold’s honour.
In September 2006, the House and its occupants moved to Worcester Road to a newly acquired and refurbished boarding house. The house is spacious and comfortable. In particular, the Sixth Form study bedrooms are extremely high quality, with groups of three (two sharing and one single) with their own bathroom and kitchenette.
Newsletters and Publications
Lent 2014 | Michaelmas 2013 | Summer 2013 | Lent 2013
Wiseman’s House Handbook